Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Reflections 2017

I am a Christmas person just like a I am night-owl, I mean that later part of the day, later in the year, the ending. I am not so much a New Year person, although I love to have a new diary, new google calendar, love the idea to be able to fill them up with nothing to almost full. I love the idea of starting all over again, a new chance to launch forward. But as much as I love these new beginnings (try saying it as been-gin-ning), I love closure much better!

I love the idea of Christmas Advert that it is countdown time to Christmas and New Year. I love the idea that Christmas and New Year are together, sending off one and welcoming in another year. I love the spirit and air of Christmas, you could feel it in the air. I love the smell of Christmas, not just sweet cinnamon, sweet mince pies, rum aged cakes but that of Roast Turkey, Roast Lamb, Baked Cheese stuff! Definitely, I love Christmas more than New Year. 

Thankfully, there is an advert for Christmas, a countdown and a timely reminder to slow down and celebrate with a bang with loved ones and families. As I age, the celebrations take on different moods and forms, I start to value relationships a lot more. I start to think about what needs to be intentional. I start to care about people over things although things are absolutely essential to maintain relationships like gifts, food, cakes etc. 

Almost every year, I wore myself out preparing for Christmas, there was a season that I did charity fundraising by baking almost a hundred loaves of prune, Chocolate, Christmas Cakes and thousand over tiny cookies. Thankfully, I stop doing this for many years now. Almost every year, on the Christmas Eve, I found myself overworked, overloaded, exhausted and unable to even enjoy the Christmas Eve Service and then I would comfort myself by saying, next year I will prepare earlier so that I do not rush and have enough rest. But then the following will come and go and I would procrastinate too long over Christmas related decisions.

This year is a bit more special as I have entered the second part as a centurion. It is a year of intentional activities. Here are my reflections:-

1. Travel with family 

I got to travel a bit more with family this year, I managed the following trips :-

August - Hainan Island with Michael, Wallace and Malcolm. The two boys went for Summer Camp at the courtesy of China government's invitation to overseas Chinese younger generations. We went back to the ancestral house on the exact date of our 23rd wedding anniversary on 6 August 2017. Bel's star war trooper luggage had a series of exciting adventure of its own.

August - the following weekend after China, we went to Singapore to bring Michael's mum to visit her sister in law, who is Michael's aunt. We met up over Saturday breakfast with most of her family members and took the 4 kids for a try at the iFly Singapore.

In September, I took Wallace to Johor Bahru to register for his Year one at Reading University for Real Estate. I stayed over a short weekend.

End of the year, we are going to Taipei for our new experience of this city.

2. Travel to learn 

In August, I attended the Beijing GIS Conference and it was really eye-opening to see how the China market is doing in GIS. They are into Big Data although not everyone knows how to get Big Data or analyse them properly but nonetheless, its Big Data everywhere.


3. Travel purely for fun

In November, 6-24th, I went away for 18 days. It was a travel with 2 friends at South Island withe Melbourne and Auckland as bonus trips to visit my friends and relatives. This was really a travel purely for fun and relaxation!


4. Staying Healthy

I continue on with my new lifestyle after last year surgery in May, I did one round of major detox diet and that helped to stop the weight piling back on. I was most happy that before my New Zealand Trip and before my birthday, I was told by my doctor that I am doing well and should aim to maintain the weight that way.

5. Celebrations Moments

I was conferred the Kinabalu's Order by the Head of State of Sabah. That came as a big surprise for October. I had no clue this would happen. I receive with gratitude in my heart, what the good Lord grants me with good health to receive and what men are giving me in social status.

6. My mental gardening

This has been shelved for over a year. With two older kids away from home, I ended up busy to manage after them. I was given a mental picture to let go and let God and that God does not have any grandchildren. I have to surrender to Him.

Deep down, I know I have to get back on to this track.

7. My growing up family

Kids are really growing up so fast. At the twinkling of the eyes, they are out of the house. At another blink, the other son has completed his O level exams. Then Bel graduated from Primary School with flying colours.

8. My ABC journey with God

In February, I travelled to Miri with Michael and many others to learn about what is Intentional Discipleship Making. It was a spiritual growth moment. I have been assigned a mentor. Being authentic is hard work; being broken is heart-ache and being courageous means brave enough to let go of certain pride and even people.

9. WOEful people

WOEful team is really scattered this year, most of us are busy and away from KK. Finally, the group has been asked to split up and tried other groups. I do not find this an easy process although I responded obediently swiftly for the greater good of everyone. In the end, myself ended this year without attaching to a group. Seeing them grow, meeting younger Christians will be a good journey for them.

10. Brigade and me

This has been a most painful year for Brigade in terms of heart-aches, no matter what I think its good, there is always someone who think its bad. I cannot reconcile the differences. I cannot reply the accusations. I was asked to learn to be vulnerable through all these. I have no idea what it means and what it will do to the ministry. I know it will hurt it even more but I do not know how to stop it from hurting. May the Lord have mercy on me and my work. May He prosper the work of GB to bless more girls.











No comments:

Post a Comment