Sunday, May 17, 2015

Lamentations Chapter 48

Woe to me at this stage of my life
I am stuck and life seems so unfair

The young has grown taller
Stronger than us by the day
They challenge us to tasks
They will surely win
We do not stand a chance
To beat them at their games
Once they were so little
Once they depend on us

When I look at the elderly
My heart is burdened with care
Years of strife has made them
Wounded, Battled and Sick
Their memory starts to fade
Once they were our source of strength
Once they steer our life
With words of commands

Here I am, at my late forties,
Stuck in between two generations
Before and after me
I am the Gen X generation
the current ruler of the world
This one thing torment my soul
My heart cries out tears of despairs
Why I am loaded with a load of care

The elderly needs our tender cares
As their bodies weaken slowly
They need us more everyday
Decision for their health and welfare
The young ones needs our loving guidance
As they prepare to leave the nest
They need us more everyday
Decision for their future destiny

Oh Lord, I am but one body
One mind and one pair of hands
My resources is limited
My giving is limited
I cannot give all that I have
For I will be living from without
What about my needs and wishes
Who cares for me then

I could choose to live
And dwell in the land of sorrow
Or I could choose to be
A cheerful soul that cheer
To all who surrounds me
Give me perspective, Lord
Though the days are long

The years are actually short

I have often complained to my friends that life in the forties have been the toughest by far or so I think to myself, based on my current experiences. In the teens years, we felt so bounded and needed to be set free, to be independent and explore the universe to the deepest mystery. In the twenties, we felt so challenging, lots of bills just sucked up our salary, it was difficult to save for the future. In the thirties, when the kids were tiny, their food bill higher than the adults, all the toys expensive, life was hard but we must press on and save more for them and ourselves. Then, suddenly, came the forties, by then, we have survived the thirties, we have made some investment and we are beginning to see the fruits of our labours. Just when we think we have saved some money, it is time to empty the tanks again, for the elderly health care and for our kids' education. Such a pitiful stage.
 On the emotional ride, we face similar challenges. In our teens, we wanted to be free as birds, fly far away. In our twenties we were carefree, we could go where we wanted to go, we could be happy. In our thirties, we were more down to earth, we try to establish our own family traditions and legacy. Then in our forties, the emotion ride is up and down, as we prepare to say many good byes in our life. Good byes to some elderly or even young people in our life, as they depart this life. Temporary Good Byes to our children as they leave the nest to pursue their dreams.
 There is no such thing that life is unfair. Life gives us surprises, this we can be sure of. What we make out of life's surprises, that is what we can choose. 



No comments:

Post a Comment